Emotional health is so critical to keeping your aging parents out of the hospital.
They will appreciate any effort you do to maintain their mental and emotional well-being.
You and Mom or Dad can all profit from your suggestions and help to keep them connected to the people and things that are important to them.
games for seniors
that can help keep your aging parents entertained and connected to their friends and family.
- I didn't know enough about my Mom's activities and what she did to keep busy. I needed to learn about activities for aging parents.
and radio and TV? Where do they fit in? What is important for them these days? What about Cable?
- I needed to learn more about
computers for seniors.
I wanted to make sure Mom and Dad could have fun surfing but do it safely.
- What about magazines and newspapers and
and books? Should you help with cancellations? Or help with more subscriptions?
- Mom or Dad can stay busy and be occupied with things. There are lots of
activities for senior citizens.
They can do these by themselves or with others. Indoor gardening, singing, dancing and much more.
- Small projects can be a gentle way to keep busy and feel good. Painting and home-made gifts and
crafts for seniors
can be fun and useful. What a pleasure to see their handiwork hanging on your wall, or theirs.
- Get your Mom or Dad connected with the local
Senior Day Care Center
so they can visit regularly and give all of you some respite.
- Your parent's friends and neighbors help keep them from the
that can have so many negative effects.
- Sometimes your aging parents can surprise you with their
Set up a schedule of people and professionals who will help you with your aging parents. There are
and individuals that specialize in elder health care. These people can make visits and house calls to their home for various duties and activities.
As the caregiver for your aging parents, you can be vigilante for the
symptoms of dementia.
Then you can try and anticipate their emotional health problems before they occur.
- Playing games with your aging parents when you visit can help them to “keep the mind alive”.
Party games for seniors
such as word games, board games, puzzles, trivia, card games can all be a good challenge for aging parents.
- Maintain a connection with your aging parents as a
by trying to make a regular phone call. And try to get to visit as often as you can.
- Your aging parents can often surprise you with some
good senior quotes
about how they are adjusting to their situations.
- Encourage Mom or Dad to maintain their friendships and social activities. There are always places where
senior people meet
. You can help them make arrangements get out and be with others- shopping or in a restaurant or even in the common room.
- You can help maintain the emotional health of your aging parents by keeping them involved with family- your family and your children and grandchildren if you have them. Bringing family over for a brief visit may be a nice break from the routine. Involving Mom or Dad in family events and celebrations is very important. And
senior citizen photos
bring a long-lasting connection to families and friends.
- OK, so now you have their computer set up for solitaire and stuff. But don't forget
digital photos and email-
to you and the great-grandchildren. You can be creating today with today's cameras.
When you buy
gifts for seniors
you can make them very happy. There are lots of suggestions to get
gifts for elderly
parents these days.
You might be interested in
even more tips
to help you with your aging parents.
All this can also help you with your own caregiver stress and emotional health.
You can help keep your parents more emotionally connected to their environment and less likely to need expensive assisted living.
Top of page
Return from this Emotional Health page to the Home Page