Caregiver Employment:
Get Help with your Aging Parents

When you are looking for caregiver employment, there are a number of places to search. You can have your pick of websites designed to match caregivers for your aging parents to meet your needs. Some sites have a checklist of duties the caregiver employment would involve. Deciding what tasks you need help with will help you to know and decide whether you need a medical or non-medical caregiver.

Your first step is to learn about the various types of caregivers. Each differs as to what they’re expected to do.

  • Non-certified aides or assistants (also called home helpers or personal care aides) earn a wide range of pay from state to state and can work for families in private homes or for non-medical home care agencies. Although the tasks they do can be different in different states, many help with long-term personal care and possibly housework, preparing meals, and companionship.

  • “Homeworkers” and “Choreworkers” are other members of the non-certified caregiver employment family. Neither of them provides personal care but instead do housekeeping and similar duties.

  • Likewise, companions do not handle personal care unless they have formal training. They simply comfort and supervise those who should not be left alone. You would pay for any of these workers’ services directly.
    Medicare or private health agencies would not cover these services. However, some long-term care insurance policies do reimburse for them, but be sure to check yours first.

  • Certified Nursing Assistants CNA) and Home Health Aides (HHA) are supervised by a professional in the healthcare field, like nurses or rehab therapists.
    States vary as to what type of training they must receive. But all have been through training and have passed written and practical exams. They are then registered within that state. Both types may work for medical health care agencies or facilities that provide non-medical home care.

    The pay for those who work in the home health agencies of Medicare/Medicaid may be reimbursed if they meet certain requirements. That is not the case if they’re hired through a non-medical home care agency or privately.

    Both CNAs and HHAs are trained in CPR and can help with “activities of daily living” like using the bathroom, going from the bed to a chair, walking, eating, dressing and other tasks. Certified assistants must be able to do all of the physical procedures needed. They will also give an accurate report on the patient to the professional who are supervising them.

    Depending on their training, they may also do light housekeeping. They may do wound care, tube feedings and the like. If so, they would have nurse supervision.

  • Besides these workers, Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN), Registered Nurses (RN), and various types of therapists (occupational, physical and speech therapists) serve in other ways of support.

    All must complete intensive college training and some must pass other intense requirements imposed by their state. Nurses must also pass a national exam. Therapists focus on regaining the patient’s ability to function following an accident or disease.

The internet can help you match the needs of your aging parent with the perfect provider of caregiver employment. By being informed and selective, you can find the ideal solution, and with it, comfort and peace of mind.

Top of page

Go from this Caregiver Employment page to the Dealing with Aging Parents Page

Go from this Caregiver Employment page to the Home Page